Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Hands and Feet of Jesus at work


Last Tuesday night I went with my grandmother to take my grandfather, mom's dad, to the hospital. He had been to the doctor earlier that day and the doctor told him it was his gallbladder. We were waiting in the ER with him since 9 pm Tuesday night till 3:30 am Wednesday morning. Got him in a room around 4 am and I stayed the night with him. 
He had intensive surgery Wednesday afternoon to remove his gallbladder, which had ruptured. It was impossible to do the microscopic surgery like most people have because of the extent that it was damaged.  He came through the surgery alright but the infection had spread to the rest of his body causing him to be very weak. I was with him a lot during this week. My mom, dad, uncle and I all rotated staying overnight with. I am physically exhausted and ache all over, but I know this is nothing compared to what he is going through.

Although this is a minor surgery in the grand scheme  of things, it kills me seeing this once strong and humble man who never bragged and hardly ever asked for help, be in such a weakened physical state and depending on nurses and doctors to help him because of his discomfort and pain. It makes me realize that even the strongest, most humble, and courageous of men, when at their weakest, need help from others, and most of all, from the almighty healer himself. These nurses and doctors may be helping him but ultimately it is the Lord who is healing him. These nurses and doctors are truly acting as the hands and feet of Jesus. Their calm demeanor, their gentleness, their compassion, and their dedication to helping those in pain are qualities that are most admirable and are proof that The Lord can work through all people. Others might just see it as those people's jobs, and it very well might be just that to them, but for me, I see the love and compassion of Christ shining through from these amazing people. Posted in almost every room in this hospital is a plaque that has the first part of Psalm 46:1 printed on it, which reads "God is our refuge and strength...". And oh how true that statement is!  Praise to the almighty healer and Savior! 

As I am writing this on Tuesday 7/2, he is scheduled to come home tomorrow. Praise God! Thank you all for your support and prayers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment